Using Bobby Pins and Hair Clips for a Secure French Braid: Tips and Tricks
Creating a stunning French braid is a fantastic way to keep your hair stylish and secure, but sometimes you might need a little extra help to keep it in place. Bobby pins and hair clips are the perfect accessories for ensuring your French braid stays put all day. Here’s how to use them effectively:
What You’ll Need:
- Bobby pins
- Hair clips
- A brush or comb
- Hair spray (optional)
Step 1: Prepare Your Hair
- Begin with clean, dry, and detangled hair. Brush or comb your hair to make it smooth and manageable. Applying a light-hold hair spray can also add grip and prevent flyaways.
Step 2: Create Your French Braid
- Decide where you want to start your French braid. You can begin at the top of your head near your forehead or lower down the back. Divide a section of hair into three equal parts, just as you would for a regular braid.
Step 3: Begin Braiding
- Cross the right section of hair over the middle section, then cross the left section over the new middle section. This is the foundation of your French braid.
Step 4: Add Hair
- After completing one full braid cycle (right over middle, left over middle), gather a small section of hair from the right side of your head and add it to the right section of the braid.
Step 5: Continue Braiding
- Keep adding hair from the sides as you braid. Cross the right section (with the added hair) over the middle section and then the left section over the new middle section. This is the essence of a French braid – incorporating hair as you go.
Step 6: Use Bobby Pins and Hair Clips
- Here’s where bobby pins and hair clips come into play. As you continue to add hair and braid, periodically use bobby pins or hair clips to secure the braid against your head. Simply slide them into the braid, anchoring it to your scalp. You can place them after adding new hair on either side or wherever you feel the braid needs extra support.
Step 7: Finish the Braid
- Continue adding hair and securing with bobby pins or hair clips until you’ve incorporated all the hair into the braid. When you reach the end, secure the braid with a hairband or tie.
Step 8: Customize and Accessorize
- Once your French braid is complete, you can gently pull on the edges of the braid to give it a fuller and more relaxed appearance. Add decorative accessories like bobby pins, clips, or hair cuffs if you want to enhance the style.
Bobby pins and hair clips are fantastic tools for maintaining the shape and structure of your French braid, especially if you have layers or shorter pieces that tend to slip out. With these tips and tricks, your French braid will stay secure and stylish all day long. Practice makes perfect, so don’t be afraid to experiment and find the method that works best for your hair type and style.